Quote Originally Posted by victor
and thanks for this zeiss protar comment, i will take it into my concidirations as well.
do u know any place on the net that has a good info about it?
Curiously, I do not! Most of my info on old lenses is culled from my copy of "Photographisches Hilfsbuch für ernste Arbeit" by Hans Schmidt, published in Berlin 1910. A little bit comes from "Tascenbuch der Praktischen Photographie", Dr. Ernst Vogel, Berlin 1904; as well as advertisments in "Der Satrap" 1934.

I have one 14cm Protar right next to me here now, but that's on its way to a new home as of this moment. I know where I can put my hands on another one - but still a 14cm one. You would need the smallest one, the 6cm version...

Ed: Urm... Yes. Up to a point it's easy to avoid distortions, but when they do come in they're impossible to get rid of. An asymmetric design has inherent distortion which somehow is easier to minimize. It all comes down to complexity; and most older lenses are less complex than more modern ones. Optically speaking the Hypergon is one of the simplest ones ever made; the Protar is a lot more complicated - and may not be entirely symmetrical. My sources disagree somewhat where they are not silent on that...