PE and Sandy, Sometimes these discussions wander down side roads and take on a life of their own. With that in mind, I'm going to return to Dr. Emil Mayer, author of "Bromoil Printing and Transfer," which was referenced in the little book, "Making Color Prints." In case you aren't familar with Emil Mayer, here's the story in a nutshell. He was formerly a lawyer and lived in Austria. Mayer was pehaps the most knowledgable person alive in his day about bromoil and transfer. He gave up his law practice and formed the Drem Company, specializing in bromoil supplies and photographic gadgets. He had a light meter of sorts that was a popular item in the 1930's. Mayer was a gifted street photographer and knew bromoil and transfer backwards and forwards. He taught bromoil and transfer at a school that he set up there. Hugo Rudinger was one of assistants in teaching bromoil. Hugo left Austria for New York when things got too hot at the outbreak of WWII. Emil Mayer hung on, hoping for the best. One day the gestapo came to the Mayer household, rumaged through his house and destroyed all of his bromoil prints. Mayer and his wife were Jewish. The next day Emil and his wife committed suicide. By then Rudinger was in the USA. Many decades passed and Edward Rosser, a professor at Harvard, came across a portfolio of bromoil transfers by a "Dr. Emil Mayer" that Mayer had given to a neice. Rosser purchased the portfolio for a song. Rosser contacted me and asked what I knew about Emil Mayer, which wasn't much. I only knew that he had a successful photographic business, the Drem Company, and that he had written a couple of books on bromoil. Rosser kept digging for info and ended up writing a book on Mayer's tiny jewel-like transfers, "Viennese Types." If you don't have it, get it! Rosser donated the portfolio of transfers to Harvard University. A few years later I was contacted by a photo dealer asking if I would be interested in purchasing a number of Hugo Rudinger's (Mayer's assistant) bromoil transfers. The price was right and I bought them. I exhiited some of the Rudinger prints in "The Art of Bromoil Show" that I organized in Richmond last October. Then, from out of nowhere I got an email from Rudinger's granddaughter, who lives in California, and who had heard about the show. She said the fact that I was displaying Rudinger's work had made her mother extremely happy. The story had come full circle!

Cheers,

Gene