Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
The police officer's view of what is obstructing or endangering is what counts at the scene... He is in charge... If it's a bad law, a crappy law, a law that stinks so bad...
So you are telling me that a police officer has the absolute power to do whatever he feels like doing even if its ultimely to harm a lawfull innocent?
Its very common here in Greece for the police to target journalists and photographers, beating them up, breaking their equipment and arresting them with no charge.
You agree with that?
Which democratic laws state that is unlawfull to take a photograph in public?
Or is any law ok, as long it is a law?
How is a photograph harmfull to a police officer?
Unless ofcourse (s)he is doing something something unlawfull or brutal and has reasons to object to a documentation of his actions.
Like it happens on demonstrations in Greece where the riot police will use ten year old expired tear gas, hold their rods by the reverse and hitting with the hard handle, targeting the people with their flare, gas or rubber bullet guns, shouting obsenities and doing things to provoke riots and so on.
Or maybe taking pictures of them cracking the sculls of peacefull students or taking pictures of faces of pleasure when they do so.
I am sure then the police officers would have any right to hurt the photographer for even being there to take such documentaries.
When I write the international news for the newspaper and hunt for photos I see things like that often in Nepal, in Pakistan, in Iran, in Israel, in Ecuador, but also in France, in Germany, in the US...

You are quite right. The police officer is in charge, he can arrest you for obscuring the pavement, smash your camera and beat you up for resisting arrest and hold you with no real charges.