I find it very difficult to say anything about Bill Brandt. On the one hand, he produced a large number of striking images over a long career - I would say that more of Brandt's images are etched into my memory than those of any other photographer, several examples of the "Perspective of the Nude" series, for example, the "Top Withens" (Wuthering Heights) picture, the "Snicket in Halifax" picture (cobblestone ramp), the miner scavenging coal picture already posted here, the Peter Sellers portrait, and many others. At the same time, I feel I don't know Brandt as a person at all. Like most 1930s photographers, he had no qualms about posing pictures, and also driving portrait subjects to the point where they were totally p***ed off - I remember an English photographer Nicholas Sinclair telling how he photographed the actor Paul Schofield who had in turn told how it was to be photographed by BB. He apparently turned up at PS's house with an entourage of assistants, decided he must photograph PC in his conservatory but that his assistants must first remove all the furniture. By the time PS actually was photographed, he was incandescent with rage!

All this is not to detract in any way from BB's work, but I feel I can only react to individual images, while BB as a whole remains an enigma - which is not a feeling I have about many (if any) other artists.