Quote Originally Posted by eddym
I'm not sure I get it; did the ad have your email in it, or the scammer's? If yours, then how is the scammer getting in contact with the models? If the scammer's email is in the ad, then how did the models get in touch with you?
With a Craig's List ad, the "main" link in the ad is to a hidden email account managed by Craig's List. If you click it, your email client launches and the email "to" field is something like: "Ad_123456789@craigslist.com". Thus you don't know who you are contacting. (this is a feature of Craig's List allowing annonymity)

This way, the scammer can pick and choose which responses he/she responds to. (as you can imagine, this is ideal for personals).

So how to attract responses? Make the ad as authorative and as convincing as possible. So if you are a schmuck the easy way is to "steal" someone else's online content. Especially if you believe that possible respondees won't bother to "drill down" to find out if this online stuff is for real. This is why sites like flickr are easy pickings: you have to work to contact the owner of the page. Fortunately, the models that contacted me were suspicious, but after reviewing both my flickr stream as well as my real site, they had the wherewithall to contact me using my published email, rather than contact them via the hidden craig's list email.

Given the creepy nature of Craig's List, my hunch is that this guy was some sort of pervert, rather than someone who went out of the way to make me answer a few emails to some pretty girls.