Rich, Buster6x6:

Ages ago my wife browbeat me into buying her one of the original Lepp brackets. It and Buster's share a weakness that I find completely crippling.

My flash rigs are minimally, if at all, adjustable. I find that having a fixed flash-camera-lens geometry greatly simplifies the task of calibrating the setup.

The original Lepp design has much in common with ball heads, which I also have great difficulty using. Lepp I uses a single knob to lock the flash holder, rods, ... on two axes. I gave up on trying to set the thing up repeatably, which is essential for working from a table mapping magnification to aperture.

I was so annoyed with Lepp for sending such a useless overpriced POS to market that I've refused to look at the Lepp II or any of his other products. Please enlighten me, Rich. Does Lepp II use a single knob to lock one or two axes?

To get back on track, Anupam, poverty is no excuse for not shooting calibration shots. I did my first sets while a starving grad student.

Faith in manufacturers' claimed guide numbers is also no excuse for not shooting calibration shots. In my limited experience, most flashes put out 0.5 to 1.0 stops less light than claimed. The only ways to find out what a flash puts out are shooting calibration shots or using a flashmeter. GN arithmetic works well, but gives the right answer only if the real GN is used.

Cheers,

Dan