Will I talk about myself? Well ... if you insist!

Left school in 1967 with no idea what to do, joined the Civil Service (Department of Health and Social Security). Had previously been a keen photo hobbyist while at school. Stayed at this desk job for about 15 months, then decided to try photography and got a transfer to the Ministry of Technology, where I got paid 10 a week (in 1969) to operate a 16x20" Littlejohn process camera. Was allowed day release 1 day a week to study. Eventually got a diploma in 1971.

Moved in 1970 to the Victoria & Albert Museum, got paid a few s more to photograph art objects, using most 8x10" cameras. Used to volunteer for evening shifts and do press and PR work with the museum's Leica. Work at the museum was fascinating, pay and career prospects very poor, so moved about 50 yards to Imperial College Botany Department (right by the Albert Hall), where I became head of the photography department (total strength: me) and photographed diseased leaves, occasionally healthy plants, and lots of architecture, etc, for a glossy brochure. Was playing in a rock band around the student scene at this time. Did some freelance press during this period, too, got the odd publication in the nationals.

By 1974, fame having strangely failed to tap me on the shoulder, I took a job with Ilford Limited as a technical writer and wrote booklets, advertisements etc., on the products. The company was not in good shape at this time, it was moving out of the Ilford site and going to Basildon, Essex (a short time later, it closed all operations in SE England and regrouped at Mobberley), so I retrained as a technical translator, which is the work I do on a freelance basis, together with editing and the occasional from-scratch magazine article, still today. Writing is much more lucrative for me than photography ever was, whereas photography is much more fun without commercial pressure!

Regards,

David