Quote Originally Posted by mark
Donald, which pictures are they? I intentionally don't go to galleries very often because I often find myself seeing those images in the compositions I make. I don't know why. Mybe because, as Jorge said, I see that it has been done before. By not looking at those images i am free to concentrate on my images. When images are mentioned I think hmmm...I would like to see that and then I can't find it.

Mark, The images were removed several days ago.

You draw a pretty rigid line between what you call a pretty picture and an abstract. You give the abstract much more importance than you do the pretty picture. I cannot agree. In my opinion they are both the same in weight and meaning, and importance. It just depends on who you are talking to. I cannot imagine you wasted your time taking and printing a picture just so you could start this thread. You do not seem like that kind of person. Just as the objects in the abstract drew your eye so did objects in the stream. What was it that did that? I assume you had entirely different reasons for exposing the different shots, there fore they would each be viewed differently.

My designation of a "pretty picture" is a broad stroke to illustrate what I have observed as emulations and duplications of images that have been done over and over again. Other terms used to describe this is "looking for the tripod holes". I sense that you disapprove of my posting this discussion by your comment about the type of person that I seem to be. I did not post these images to illustrate a point.

My realizations and the origin of this thread arose out of a wide disparity of not only the comments related to these images. But more importantly the number of views that each received. To bring you up to date on these images...both were made in the time frame of 1988 and 1989. I had not previously printed either image at any time. I probably give the abstract more importance in this particular discussion because the "pretty picture", if I am being honest, arose out of a desire to emulate the work of other landscape photographers. The second image depicts a streaked plaster wall with a window opening that frames another window opening. This image occured during a period of immense personal struggle in my life. I would say that out of this struggle and the angst of that time that this image is more genuinely arising from myself. Thus I feel that I have a valid position from which to draw a personal comparison and also to draw a comparison of the interests of other viewers.

The matter of the question of a mountain stream...other then the location and other matters pertaining to the objective reality, what question could be posed?
What question(s) could not be posed?

When the whole of a contrived and oft duplicated scenic composition is presented, beyond the actual location and technical matters...what meaning does the image convey?
As I have previously stated...there is no right or wrong answer to this matter. My interest from the outset was to kick the "walls out a little bit". To challenge the basis of my and our photography. As my friend Jim Shanesy (C6h6O3) said last week when we discussed this matter among ourselves "If we don't stir it, it won't stink".

Thanks for your thoughts.