Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
I suppose that an enlarger would be workable. Lowere your head yo the bottom, remove your lens and carrier, tape the meter so the cell is in the center of the beam.
Claire's process is a good way to get you pretty close claibrations and fairly easy. I was fortunate enough to get a densitometer a couple of years ago and now use it to get reasonably accurate calibrations of my exposures. I have also used my darkroom color analyzer to get good relative readings -- which is really the same as described in Claire's message. To add to this... since you have an enlarger, you can pick up a pretty good color analyzer for a few dollars these day (I saw one auction sell three at $5 for the lot) Shoot a roll and get some good numbers to work with.

Now, to relate this to the macro subject --

I learned that my variable power flashes are very inaccurate at the lower power settings:

I calibrated my variable power flashes for my macro set up... since I was getting pretty close to the subject, I really needed to crank the power down on my flashes. Let me tell you, I was amazed at how inacurate the dials and settings were in the low power settings. They're consistant, but way off from the control markings. Now that I know what to adjust to, my macro exposure is very predictable.

Summary: for macro work where you need to reduce the flash's power, expect the controls to be very inaccurate... testing really is worth the time.

Bill Riley