Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
Again, I may be wrong in detail here but I think after the war the Norwegian Navy was interested in data the Nazis had accumulated on how to improve safety conditions aboard ship. The data, horrifyingly, included experiments on prisoners in concentration camps to see how long people take to drown.

It was thought to be highly useful information, which would possibly help to save many lives, but the decision was made not to use it. I suppose you could argue both ways - on the one hand, make something positive out of the terrible experiences of those people. On the other hand (my feeling is this was probably right in this particular case)- the information is too awful to handle.
I'm afraid your feeling is wrong. The reason the data were not used is that they were fundamentaly flawed - starved concentration camp prisoners are a lot more susceptible to hypothermia than healthy sailors. There was a quite heavy debate about the ethics at the time, but in general it was felt that if the data could be used, then at least the many deaths could save some lives.