Hello Steve Barry, and welcome to APUG,

Quote Originally Posted by stevebarry
egos, here in this thread.
A quick word about egos . . . when someone does not think highly enough of themselves or their work, some might consider that a lack of self esteem, or even depression . . . . . . . when one thinks and speaks highly of themselves and their work, some might consider that as confidence, though some will consider it egotism . . . . . . there is a very fine line between confidence and egotism, a line which will often not be visible nor definable to many people.

If you are going into the world with an art degree, whether intending to only produce fine art, or intending to do commercial work, you will need a great deal of confidence to succeed. That confidence will be taken by some to be egotism, and those individuals may dismiss you entirely. It is not an easy life, but it can be highly rewarding.

i am in school, learning art. i know enough to know very few people really understand what art is. alot of people can tell what is or isnt "art", and maybe talk about it, but most do not understand what it is.
I am sure you probably had this discussion in one of your classes already, or soon will. Should art just be for other artists to understand? Do only artists have the capacity and knowledge to understand art?

i still disagree with you on the artist making a photo. i would say an artist (not trained in photography) armed with a point and shoot 35mm, and a local lab, could make art more often than most photographers. or a digital camera for that matter. thats what im saying....an artist armed with a cheap digital camera, would make art more often than a photographer with a 4x5 and a nice b/w film.

There are infinitely more cameras in the hands of non-artists, or those not intentionally producing art than there are artists with cameras.

To paraphrase your statement: a truly artistic or creative individual could likely pick up any camera and create visually compelling images.

There have been famous painters of the past whom did not have formal training in art. There have also been time periods in history when certain styles and approaches of art were in their times not considered fine art, yet in later review in some art history texts, or by some museums, were recognized as art. To apply this to your statement, there are likely some photographers in history now viewed as artists who did not have formal training in art. I agree that simply buying a camera does not make one an artist, no more than buying Windsor & Newton paints and brushes makes one a artist of paintings . . . . however, just because one buys a camera first, prior to learning about art, should not negate an individuals ability to become an artist, or even a recognized artist later on in history.

i totally agree with you about the holocaust and vietnam. the other side of that is - we will never again have a band like the beatles - or anything that so many people, as a group, are into and influenced by (good or bad). im saying, anyone can be those things today, because their is no authority on what is or isnt good. it is left up to you and me, and everyone else with a computer, to decide what is good. no more getting published, getting signed to a record deal, or being shown in a gallery. anyone can record an album, show work labeled "fine art", publish (sorta) a book, write a news story - today, and have an audience. things have changed.

im not trying to be cryptic.

Things obviously have changed. I got my degree in art in 1998, though my speciality was/is oil painting. I feel there is great value in having learned all aspects and foundations of my degree. I also have no need to validate it amongst those who did not attempt to get the same degree. After you graduate, none will care what your GPA ended up being (mine was 3.7, if anyone was curious). What people considering your work will care about is that work, based upon your portfolio, and if you only do fine art you could include your exhibit history.

While I don't know what your goal is for getting that BFA, I wish you the best of luck with that in the future. There are less than 5% of the people I graduated with in 1998 still doing any creative work at all; it can be a very difficult and often frustrating career. I hope you stick with it in the future.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio