Quote Originally Posted by jstraw
I need to find out if I'm simply ignorant here...
It is my understanding that neither releases or permission is needed to take, publish or exhibit photographs made in public spaces. Newspapers could not function otherwise.
I do not know very much about assigning rights to a third party, ie: selling an image for use as an illustration or advertisement.
Can someone school me?
"News" use - wherever, has been judged to be protected from the Copyright Law, as a matter of "Freedom of the Press - under the Constitution of the United States. Elsewhere --- I do not know.

Simply because it is done "In a Public Place" does not exempt a Model - or anyone - from a reasonable share of the proceeds derived from their participation in the activity.

An example ... Heidi Klum models clothes for Dior, on a public beach in Miami. The images are published in Cosmo.
Not "news", and you bet your life she and many others will share in the projected proceeds from the shoot.

Heidi Klum trips and falls into a hot dog stand on the same public beach in Miami... and the image is published in the Enquirer.
"News" - and she probably will NOT be paid for the image.