Hello Cate,

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
In some ways this discussion reminds me of a recent thread on technique in photography, what it means to us, the different elements that are or are not important or necessary, and the value we give to them.
I recall that thread. It was a very interesting discussion. Glad you reminded me of that one.

Art is about many things and takes many forms. Fundamentally it is about expression and communication - of ideas, thoughts, emotion, feeling - different combinations, different elements. It can be an art primarily of ideas, or it can be a very personal journey of the artist. Sometimes context and analysis is important, even vital, sometimes it isn't, and the power of the art transcends everything else.
Nicely stated.

Photography is as much of a fine art as pottery can be (when the use of the pot is to be looked at rather than used). It is also fundamentally about communciation.

What makes it beome 'art' as much as anything else, can be about beauty, and what makes us wonder about the world and what it is to be human.

Cate
Agreed. I tend to get wordy in some of my postings, but Cate, you have stated this very well in much fewer words. Well done.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio