Hello Jerevan:

Not a stupid question at all. I guess I did not make it clear that's all. You are quite right, any number of trial versions of CAD applications available at www.download.com can be used in conjunction with the information in the book to rapidly and efficiently design bellows. Then the file is plotted or printed to produce the parts for the bellows. Not just templates, but the actual parts. The book takes you from no idea how to design your own custom bellows to being able to use CAD effectively to create custom bellows fast and right. The book will NOT teach you to use CAD, but it will teach you what you need to learn in order to design bellows and how to build a bellows for a specific application. This book also covers how to make bellows without CAD.

With the information included in the book, anybody can build a good looking and functional bellows the first time.

You asked for a peek inside the book. OK. There is an introduction that hopefully will convince the beginning bellowsmaker that they can do this thing. My aim was to destroy the myth that bellowsmaking is an art. It isn't, it is a technique, nothing more.

Chapter one covers how we the power of the computer can solve many problems inherent in the design and cinstruction of bellows. It is so much easier to do with a computer than without. It used to take me three days to construct a bellows. Using the techniques included in my book, I can now make bellows in less than three hours start to finish. Even on bellows I have not made before. Chapter one also covers making a pattern and stiffeners for a straight bellows. Every step in the entire process of designing and making bellows is illustrated with either a CAD drawing or a photograph. I mean every single line of the pattern.

Chapter 2 is how to make the pattern without a computer. That is right, all you need is a big piece of paper, a yardstick, a ruler and a pencil to make a correct pattern which can be used to make many many bellows.

Chapter 3 covers layout which is the next step after producing the pattern.

Chapter 4 talks about how to modify a cheap paper trimmer to produce accurate stiffeners quickly and easily. Also you will learn how to assemble the bellows.

Chapter 5 is when you see the bellows actually spring to life. This is when the assembled bellows are folded into the shape we all know.

Chapter 6 covers how to design and make a pattern for tapered bellows.

There is an appendix listing all of the materials required to make high quality bellows and where to find them via snail mail and on the internet. Even the correct glues are easily located with this information.

Hope that helps.

Barry Young
Young Camera Company

Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
Stupid question maybe (I am halfways through my first cup of coffee in the morning), but when you say "use a free CAD program", etc, do you mean it like you print out stuff from the program and then make templates to cut from?

By the way, you're doing a good thing here; anything that can help making bellows less of hassle is worth it. Would you care to give some more ideas of the contents of the book?