Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
Not bad. I'm surprised that the fog wasn't more of a problem, given the concerns we had about safelight exposure and light leakage from the darkroom door during coating and drying.

Is that glow from using a classic uncoated lens, or is that halation from the film? I realize this is way beyond what was covered in the workshop, but say one managed to perfect a film emulsion and wanted to add an anti-halation layer, how would one do that?

David, the lighting was from the right at a very sharp angle, causing a lot of the problem. The camera was an old antique supplied by Eric Taubman. I am sorry but I don't remember the particulars on the camera or lens. If you could see through the building behind the chart, you would see the site of the former WTC. The window was facing almost due west and it was about 10 AM.

If I were to develop a full film package, I would not use antihalation, as it is probably too hard to coat. You would have to coat either both sides of the film support or coat 2 layers on one side. I plan on using acutance dyes for this problem. I have one in-hand, but am waiting to see if this look is suitable for the era intended. Only more pictures will help us answer that question. If I do use it, I expect the final film speed to be about 25.

I might add, we did the same thing at the first workshop, but there was more fog. Dmax and contrast were higher, but we processed the film too soon after coating and had too much reticulation. The above film was dried overnight.

Both workshops got an ISO of 40 from this emulsion. Exposures were made at ISO 25, 40, 80 etc...

PE