Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
They are having a great deal of success with French Varietals. You will find the Cab S they do will be somewhat lgihter, the Pinot isn't bad at all, and the other reds will be on the lighter side - but all good.

And of course, Reisling, Gewurtz, and the other whites are excellent.

I never went for Cab Franc - has a very sharp taste to me that I haven't become accustomed to.

But it is worth a trip, though the quality is improving, it is still somewhat uneven.
You probably already know that Cab Franc is a "difficult" grape and not used in France on a stand-alone basis - but as a "blender", usually with Cab S and Merlot for the classic Bordeaux.

That said, they have had some very good luck on the North Fork of LI with Cab Franc. And there are some CA vinters that are offering it (at least as the "major" within a blend).

With NYS wines, I'm more familiar these days with North Fork offerings of true varietals - but limited land area (always under development threat too) means that production quantities will always be low - resulting in higher prices than I can justify for the quality. It is just a damn shame that the potential of the North Fork was only discovered in the 1970's - as the bulldozers were coming into to turn the old potato fields into subdevelopments!

More on the photog front - for reasons quite unexpected, I've just won a Hassey 503cxi and now have to figure out what to do with it! If not this autumn, perhaps if you guys out there do a springtime in the vineyards get together - I can join you with both 35mm and MF in hand?

I know I'm part "eastern NY" and part "evil downstater" but I graduated from SUNY/Buffalo so I know what a real NYS winter is!