That surface of the dryer needs to be glass smooth if you don't want to have any pitting. I would not use Brasso on chrome, nor on anything that is going to have heat involved as it does contain some petroleum distillates that are not good to have around your photograph. There is a product used for cleaning metal surfaces that dates back a few years called Bon Ami. It comes in a bar form and is used with terry cloth and water. It requires some healthy elbow grease but is really remarkable in its ability to clean metal surfaces. It is slightly abrasive, so you need to clean things when you are done, don't leave residue. As for changing your dryer belt, forget about washing the old one, it needs to be replaced. take the old one with you to a fabric store, or a marine sales store that sells canvas, and by what you need and make your own, be advised the seam needs to be at an angle, or it will not pass through the rollers of your dryer...
You can also find ferrotyping plates at some garage sales here and there, made by Kodak too! I may have some floating around, I'll take a look. I always wondered what I would do with those once I started using RC for high gloss prints...