Quote Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
Donald... fill me in...
You see radial balance?
I don't...
To me, the balance comes from the cluster of heavier elements near the center left of the image, vs the lone man and bike at the far right...
What brings balance being the weight of the black square framing the old lady, and that the guys near her are also nearer the center of the pic... leveraging the lone man, far right....

I'd think of Mandalas, bicycle wheels, sunflowers... etc as radially balanced...
Where the elements are arranged around a central AXIS. . ..
Can you enlighten me as to how you see it arranged here?
The radial balance that I see utilized here draws on both literal and symbolic meaning. The matriarch is positioned with her head higher than that of her sons. (She is literally the head of the family represented here). The arrangements of her sons radiate out from her position.

Her sons are beneath her and radiate out from her on a increasing orb (spiral) beginning with the son to her lower left followed by the son immediately opposite and continuing on to the other son on the left side of the doorway and finished with the son by the bicycle. The hints to this circular arrangement is through the semi circular structure above the door (albeit abbreviated in the photograph) and the circular shape of the bicycle wheels.