Progress report.

I got Bon Ami powder, applied a small amount to a terry cloth lab towel and cleaned, rinsed with a wet towel, and polished with a dry towel the drum. With lots of cursing (no socket set handy) and exasperation, I managed to pull the apron back on, but it had shrunk in washing/drying, so one side if the top roller was pulled off track a little. At some point, I'll need to fabricate a new apron.

I lowered the tension on the bottom roller bar via the wing nuts as far as it would go.

For a flattening solution, I found a recipe at http://www.binbooks.com/books/photo/...46AF422&orig=1 , but it called for 2oz of gelatin and water to make one quart. The gelatin I had was powdered, so I didn't know how best to to translate that, so I used two of the four packets.

When my test print was done washing, I soaked it in the flattening solution for ten minutes, then ran it though the dryer/glazer.

The result was that the surface texture spotting was greatly reduced, as was the "topological cracking", but the print was still not good enough for customers.

For my next test run, I doubled the amount of gelatin in the water and cranked the tension on the bottom/entry roller way up. My thinking was that the cracking/rings was probably caused by uneven drying, so more gelatin would probably keep the water in the emulsion a bit longer. I thought perhaps spotty surface texture might have been due to bubbles trapped between the emulsion and the drum, so I increased the tension on the entry roller, and I also placed the next test prints on the apron at an angle, thinking that bubbles might be pressed out more easily by the roller that way.

Also, I hung the second test run prints by a corner until dry, then soaked in the flattening solution for 30 minutes before running through the dryer.

The result was prints almost (but not quite) free of "topological cracks" and texture spotting. I'll bet that if I stick to the same procedure, but double the amount of gelatin again, I might be good to go.

I read on photo.net that one person had a good results with Kroger gelatin (what I'm using) in sufficient quantities that he could see it floating in solution.

I've still got to research the impact of glazing on solenium toning. I've heard glazing is bad for toning, but haven't read yet WHICH kind of toning -- all? some?

cheers,

-KwM-