A random Kodachrome post...

I was just reading about the loss of another Kodachrome processing location in Europe, the discontinuing of Super 8 and 16mm Kodachrome, etc. I do fear the end of Kodachrome, and I'm stuck in the middle on this one. I know that this is an example of use it or lose it, but I rarely use 35mm film--I do a roll or two of stereo slides every few months. My main wish will probably never happen--to have Kodachrome in medium and/or large format again. It would be nice if Kodak did a little "retro" line, small runs of films with cult status and what not (have you seen the prices of Technical Pan on eBay?!?!) but that doesn't seem too likely. I guess what I'm thinking would be that maybe they would license out the rights for some other company to make Kodachrome (under a different name, of course) but would anyone be able to process it? I know Dwayne's is the last bastion of hope, but are their machines set up for 35mm only? Since the Kodachrome base is a b&w film, it seems that someone like Ilford could make the film stock and then Kodak would be off the hook from the anger of droping Kodachrome. Obviously, I live in a bit of a dream world, but it works for me! I get frustrated by the fact that there are so many films and such that I will never get to use. Can you imagine an art student studying painting, trying to paint like the masters to learn techniques and having the choice of watercolor or Adobe Illustrator? That's how I feel sometimes. Weird little rant, forgive me. I just looked at some Kodachrome slides and was shooting with a Rolleiflex today. I want to merge the two, thus this post.