</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mark in SD @ Jan 17 2003, 10:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>First, both flash units will work with a Nikon Wireless flash controller, so that should be relatively easy to set up.&nbsp; I&#39;ve always kind of wanted to try that anyway so I guess this would be a good excuse to blow another &#036;70 on a new toy.
</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
OK. I hate replying to myself but somebody with the answer may have already read the above so...

I went to the Nikon Web Site and read about the SU-4 Flash Controller, got confused, and broke out my SB-50 and SB-80 manuals.

Now I thought I needed something mounted on the camera to control the remote flash units. From what I am reading, the SU-4 is a device that fits on the remote flashes (not the camera like I originally thought) and triggers the remote flashes at a signal from the camera. That signal appears to be a flash from the main camera.

Now, both the SB-50 and SB-80 can do this already without the need for the SU-4. In fact, if I use the built in speedlight on the N80, I could trigger both flashes remotely. It also appears as if either the SB-50 or SB-80 will trigger the other using the IR Focusing beams without firing itself.

Do I have this roughly correct? Is it really true that I can play with this without buying another toy (not that I don&#39;t like toys, but I could spend the money on a different toy)?

Finally, the exposure here seems to be more complicated than I had thought. The TTL flash control MAY work, but it appears that it will be much safer to use manual calculations. This will definitely take some practice.

All of which begs the other question I have regarding this operation. How do you mount the remote flashes? Do they make stands or special tripod heads I could use?