Quote Originally Posted by PeterC
I use medium format because I want to get decent sized prints from my negatives that show my interpretation of the scene in front of me.
The last thing I want on there is grain which to my eye lessens the impact of the shot. ...
Grain does not occur in the natural world (if it , your spectacles need cleaning!) so why do we almost make it a given that grain should be seen in monochrome work.
We? What you mean, "We"??

I don't think it is a "given" that grain *must* be used. It *CAN* be used if the photographer, pursuing the elusive goal that ends with the mystical phrase, "It WORKS!".
After all, there is *NO* scene in nature that is totally devoid of color, either - but we have the choice, the "tool in the box", that we CAN use to produce monochromatic - uh - more appropriately - "color-less" images that are "unnatural". Hmm... come to think of it ... who ever decreed that all our work HAD to be "natural" in the first place?

The "large apparent grain" has an effect on the senses - just what that effect is, I can't explain. Something. Neither can I - nor will I, attempt to say where it is, or is not appropriate....

Robert Farber produced a whole series of nudes, using Agfachrome 1000 (color transparency film) "pushed" one to three stops - deliberately seeking, and successfully obtaining, coarse grain - and IMHO, they are some of the most beautiful photographs I have ever seen.