The Yankee tank I have was used when I bought it 30 years ago, but I don't know if new models are any different. The one I have has arrows on the lid indicating diection of agitation (shake in the longer direction only). I think it is important to put some large rubber bands or tape around the tank to prevent the lid from lifting open while you are agitating. For 4x5 it takes 55 ounces of liquids in my old tank. I agitated very vigorously for the first 15 or 20 seconds to dislodge any air bubbles that might be trapped between the sheets or in some of the many grooves. After that I shook vigorously for 5 seconds each minute. I used D 76 diluted 1:1 to increase the development time. I kept the tank in the sink for the entire process because some liquid splashes out the way I shake the tank. I think it is very important to prewash the film and drain the water before pouring in the developer. It takes a while to fill the tank so you probably will want to use a funnel to speed up the process. Expect to lose some liquid each time you fill the tank. You will probably have 64 ounces or more when you start. I think successful development is easy if reasonable care is taken .