</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LFGuy @ Jan 10 2003, 06:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
As far as I remember (someone correct me if I&#39;m wrong)&nbsp; fixer can contain anywhere from 2000 to 5000 mg/L of silver compounds (silver thiosulfate complexes, Ag(S2O3)2 3-) when exhausted, it all really depends on what and how much you&#39;re fixing, whether you&#39;re repleneshing it, etc.

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
I&#39;ve been wondering aout the amount of silver/ silver compounds drawn into the fixer by the development process. It seems to me that 5000mg - 5 grams - per liter is an awfully large amount.
A new American nickel (&#036;.05) weighs close to 5 grams - that seems to be a LOT of silver.

Anyone have any idea of the average amount of silver removed from a single roll of film or sheet of paper in the process?

I remember a post - somewhere - from a photographer running a recovery system in a fairly active home darkroom for a number of years. He concluded that the few grams recovered was simply not worth the effort.