Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
Is it back lit? Unfortunately, there aren't any Sebastiao Salgado books in any of my libraries here. I usually take out the same ones and I study them.
I'll have to take a look at some more and see if lots of the photo are back lit. I do recall the little girl with the angel wings and the sun in the background. What an image. I wouldn't want to be the one printing that! Looks like a very difficult image to print with just the right exposure and heavy, heavy burning in the back.
But his printing style (or his printer's printing style) is a little heavy. Dark images with just what you want to see come out of the darkness.
You might have some more of his books in your library if they were a wee bit more affordable!! (Grumble... grumble...! )

You are making me look at his light more carefully, now, Eric! But, yeah.. he seems to choose if not always back light, then strong directional light at least. And he really seems to choose to photograph on days of "changeable" weather. No days where the overcast clouds are working like a giant softbox, or when the skies are clear!!

Oh... almost forgot, yeah the printing is certainly expressive. I've seen a lot of his prints, and they are gorgeous, and really do emphasize his sense of light and how he chooses to use it.