OK, give me a day or two to digest that. In the meantime, how do you feel about multiple coatings on glass plates? I guess my question is, using a 'primitive' process with gelatin and hand coating on glass plates, would more than one coat really be of any noticable benefit? Right now I'm using albumen with 4 coats. I've never tried less or more -- just doing it because that's what the formula my friend gave me said to do, and it makes sense because you drain the excess from a different corner of the glass with each coat, so common sense tells you 4 coats would give you a more even total coating. If I switched to gelatin, would I see any real advantage to multiple coats?
I have to ask these stupid questions because I'm not a chemist and I need things explained to me in 'easy' terms. If you say mix 6 grams per 100 ml and add 4 ml of 1% solution, I understand that. When you start saying add 26% of 2% strength per 1.5 moles -- factoring in surface area and total volume...uhm, OK, what was that again?
I asked a question once about building a 'simple' lens for my camera and people went off on discussions about refraction coefficients and diopters. What the heck is a diopter? (Do you believe I can actually develop my own prints? I just follow the formulas and procedures that come with the materials -- I really have no idea how they work...) :-)