WRT to all this deist-ness:

Now I know that sometimes people have hot buttons that prevent any further listening. I expect I have them too, BUT:

Richard Dawkins was on C-SPAN a few days ago and the video is interesting particularly because he was lecturing at a university right next to Jerry Falwell's "Liberty University" in Lynchburg, Virginia. And so the faithful lined themselves up ready to challenge or otherwise trip-up Dawkins's various assertions during the long Q&A session. They asked the lion's share of questions, by my count. They tried, and imo (and that of the applauding audience) failed...

One of the questions raised was the one Kirk mentioned about the apparent collision between 'Free Will' and the twin pincers of God's Omniscience versus a deterministic, tinkertoy universe (both of which seem to restrict any 'real' 'free will'). (In fact the requirement that the universe be 100% deterministic is in itself telelogical and probably therefore false -- why should the universe be required to be deterministic if god-free? Those are unaligned issues. There are plenty of random elements to existence, from the quantum level on up -- so 'free will' seems trivially explained as our sense and explanation for our ability to respond to randomness in a structured way without actually defying entropy)

Another key issue, and entirely germane to this discussion, is: what constitutes ethical behavior, why would be people be moral without the threat of a deity's punishing hand? Across the world, among many religions and cultures, why are people, overall,... nice?