Quote Originally Posted by jdef
Equating the hanging of artwork to the marching of the KKK is truly disgusting and an appalling insult to those victimized by that cowardly organization. I'm deeply saddened that so many of you who pretend to care about art, and free expression can be so forgiving of this young woman's attacker. You would have made good Nazis.
No one said She deserved to get smacked in the face. But she should have known the hanging of the picture, where everyone walking by would see it, would draw some response, negative and positive. She cannot be so naive, as to think it would not draw a reaction. The egg, the trash, the threats, all come about when you actively take a side. Posting this painting in the window sounds to me like she:
A)hoped the painting would draw a crowd to her gallery
B)was making a statement
C)Had no where else to hang a blatantly political piece except the window.

If one is going to spout free speech they must also accept those who have views different from there own. COmparing the right of the KKK to march and voice their opinion, and the hanging of art is perfectly legitimate. Both are forms of what makes this country so great. You can hang your photo and voice your opinion and no one can deny you that right as long as you are doing it in a peacable manner. The KKK have the right to express their views just as much as you have the right to express yours. They are guaranteed the right to march, just as much as the NAACP, AIM, Green Peace, or an anti war peace rally. You cannot pick and choose who you will allow the freedom to express themselves. You may not agree with what they say, or stand for but yes you have to support their right to say it. Voltaire was right.

The gallery owner should not have been hit. If the assailant yelled at her and voiced his revulsion of the picture, that would have been totally acceptable. He crossed the line. He had no right to hit her.

Just for the record. I am not a member of the KKK, and find their message offensive, but I do and always will support their right to voice their opinions. The right to publicly voice our opinions without the threat of censorship is a beautiful thing.

Those who would make good nazis are the ones who wish to stop others from offering their opinions or expressing their views, because they do not agree with them.