Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
As an occasional eBay seller, I'll certainly agree with you on that point. I'd started refusing CDN buyers after getting "burned" by UPS on the brokerage fee (I guess after the buyer refused to pay it - they came after me - I similarly told them to "sexually self-satisfy themselves").

Then a CDN buyer "convinced" me to sell to him and ship First Class via the good old Post Office. I was sceptical but did so. He got the item (a piece of ham radio gear) in a couple of days and the postage charges were m/l the same as domestic US for the distance.

Oh, and, of course, there was no "brokerage fee".
Actually George, there is a "handling fee" that Canada Customs and Canada Post sometimes charge. It seems to be arbitrary whether or not the recipient is required to pay it, although the value of the item (and the taxes and duties (if any) due) may factor into it. The handling fee is relatively reasonable, however - usually approximately $5.00-$10.00. The problem is that the fee, the taxes and the duties are either collected Cash on Delivery (and they don't make change!!!) or they end up taking the item back to the nearby post office, where you have to arrange to go pick them up.

Matt