hmmm yeah perhaps I'll give another try in a very small amount... Actually if I'd prepare only the amount I need each time and use it immediately there wouldn't be so many problems. The fact is that not having the possibility of preparing large batches of emulsion, then it becomes a really time consuming task. Also, in my (limited) experience emulsion coated papers can't be stored for a very long time, even if the emulsion is factory made. That means: few emulsion, few papers...

Pepper grain isn't the only problem. Fogging was evident in the last batch, after less than a dozen days passed. And the emulsion was stored in a fridge, remelted only twice.

I'm looking forward to test an Efke/Adox emulsion. Costs about 15 euros per 250 ml, but my local supplier hasn't got it yet (and has been a month of waiting). The same shop sells silver nitrate for ca. 16 euros / 25 grams. In another shop I can buy 100 grams of silver nitrate for about 40-50 euros... Add a small cost of bromide and gelatin, there isn't really an huge economical advantage unlike other processes or chemistries.

Apart from the fun of making your own emulsion and having it ready whenever you need it, a real advantage would be if you print bromoils. Not every paper works with this tecnique and only a few commercial emulsions are good for that. Any emulsion that contains hardeners is unsuitable for bromoil. The only commercial emulsion I've tried that takes bromoil bleach is the Foma. The bad news is: they don't sell it outside Czech Republic (and it's only 30 euros per kg)...

About glass coating: I always had problems in sticking emulsions like Foma or SE1 from Silverprint on glass, even with a small subbing of the plate; I have another subbing recipe - will try that asap. I was very surprised when the home made emulsion didn't lift when processed (I had on a few plates just some frilling at the borders)...