Good Morning,

I'll agree with the comments above about using a motor base and a color processing drum. I've used a Chromega 8 x 10 drum for at least twenty years and never had a problem except that a very thin film, such as Technical Pan can escape the guides and separator and end up on top of one of the other sheets in the drum. This may have happened because I tend to be generous with solution amounts (usually 10 to 12 ounces), and the force of the liquid apparently lifted the film loose during rotation. That doesn't happen with films of "normal" thickness. The Chromega info sheet suggests that only 3 ounces of solution are adequate for an 8 x 10 drum, but I see no point in being that chintzy with B & W chemicals.

In my view, the number one reason to use the drum method is the absolute evenness of development it produces (I do use pre-soak). The number two reason is that, with careful loading, scratches or other damage are virtually impossible. The number three reason is that working in full light makes things simpler.

I seem to recall from various postings here or on other sites that Unicolor drums can sometimes have leakage problems, but can't be sure because I've never used them. I do know that my Chromega drums have never had even the slightest leak during usage. I don't think they're available new any longer, but they do pop up occasionally on E-Bay.