Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
The Gurney and Mott work is a classic well known at Kodak. When we are first hired at Kodak in research we take a very long course in photographic science and engineering, going to regular classes with homework along with our normal job.

We have a huge set of notebooks that teach every phase of this, and the work is accompanied by a lab where we first do hand coatings and then machine coatings. We do color and B&W both.
Lets hope the notebooks eventually make it into the public domain as Kodak adapts to a digital world. (Or doesn't). I know that some of my collaborators' collaborators on the solar cell basics got money from Fuji on a regular basis, so fundamental research still goes on. Some of the modern forms of X-ray spectroscopy and my own field, tunnelling microscopy, have allowed a more detailed understanding of both how the molecule attaches to a crystal, and how the charge transfer occurs.

Neville Mott was the grand old man of the lab when I was doing my PhD. I met him several times, but never talked about anything substantial. The only photographic connection I had was listening to the lab photographer gently complain that he was being repeatedly asked to make copy prints of a Vatican photo of Mott meeting the pope.