I like the Gedney image - has a casual observer feel to it butof course we never are - that said its natural and easy to engage with. I can't say the same for the Adams image - too harsh - brutal maybe confrontational in a way that does little for the subjects.

Poverty - its so relative. I spent over 4 years in Central America and lived with people in very very basic circumstances. They were often the happiest and most generous people I have met. Whilst as an outsider I was used to a different standard of living could I say it was better and happier - not so sure. There is a difference between people living in poverty and those that are being exploited - I appreciate the two are often interlinked. Are we exploiting them but making images of them that are rarely to highlight the plight some folk live in and strive to help or for our own gratification is questionable. I spent some time in Sri Lanka and was a little annoyed when locals often asked for money when I tried to make images - but why not - why should I have been - they were asking for pennies by our standards - who was exploiting whom?

Just my thoughts of course...