Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
These prints are indeed cibachrome backlights.
Jeff Wall bought the same Ilford Processor that I have in my shop , except his is quite larger.
This machine is dedicated to his work and maybe a few select friends that he allows to print on the machine.
I have heard that Jeff may be indeed one of the worlds largest user of this Ciba back light product. The numbers that I have heard of his inventory purchases of this product this last year is staggering.
I am not sure how he is exposing the material but I would not be suprised if he did not buy a lightjet from cymbolic sciences for his photographic output.As well he would need a full blown mounting facility to accomodate the face mounting of these large pieces that he is famous for.

This investment in *photo gear* is not suprising to me as Ed Burtynsky basically has built a lab to fit his vision , with chromiras and large processors and finally the mounting shops to produce the very large work that both these artists produce.

The argument of whether the photographs are worth the price that these fellows are recieving, I will leave to the photo experts.
But I really do admire these two great living Canadian Artists who invest everything they own into their art.
While I certainly understand that the cost of producing any work will factor into its selling price it appears that the medium is the message here. I have a hard time understanding how an image that doesn't appear to me to have been worth $1m AU when the shutter was released made that journey in his lab.

I understand that some works of art are worth a million dollars because the artist has a reputation and the cost of production is high. A Chilhuly installation...a large, public mural or sculpture, etc.

I understand that some works of art are worth a million because history has bestowed cache and status on the maker and uniqueness or rarity of the work has raised the value of a piece.

In this case, I'm at a loss to understand why a buyer would bite on that price for a work buy a living artist, of a relatively pedestrian exposure, where the scarcity is artificial and the cost of production is not *that* high.

I applaud Hall's ability to market himself and have no reason to doubt his dedication to his craft but this doesn't seem like a sensible purchase to me.