Quote Originally Posted by RAP View Post
Now Bill and Brian, thanks for the interchange. I wonder how much we would have to shell out for a workshop to learn what you two have stated here.

Is it just that easy? Put up a website, do good work, and print sales will just flow? Boy do I wish! I have recieved some positive input on my website that I hope is truly honest and sincere and my work has been published by BrownTrout Publishers, an international publisher, my own calendar yet! I had expected print sales to trickle in but not like molasses.

As for availability of materials to print on, I think most agreee that digital prints do not have the same depth and tonality as silver gelatin. So then if digital papers were all that is available, what would we all do? Go alternative, platinum, coat our own, go digital or hang up our cameras for brushes?

Photography is truly the only really time sensative medium there is.
Already heading down that route - coating my own Pt/Pd, and loving every minute of it. Frankly, it also makes it easier to justify the limited edition numbers and the prices. You do have to find an audience that understands a bit more about photography, and knows more than "Ansel Adams" and "silver-gelatin" catchphrases. Then again, when you show them the work, it speaks for itself. But it isn't for everyone, since it requires either a lot more digi-work to make enlarged negs, or shooting LF, which is definitely not for everyone.

I wanted to learn alt-processes against the possibility of the end of traditional paper and other analog media - kinda like how I wanted to learn photography originally just to use as subject matter for painting and drawing. Well, watching that first Pd print expose in the sunlight, and seeing it go POOF! in the developer was as addictive as watching the first enlargement emerge in the developer tray when I learned how to do my own darkroom work. The experimentation brought its own unexpected rewards. But at least now I know I can get from a to b without being beholden to a particular product (well, except for now my addiction to Bergger COT 320 paper... but that would be easier to replicate than something like AZO, for example).