Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
Are you saying that the unit has red filters in the base and yellow in the swinging windows? I have a Thomas sitting up in my darkroom but have not used it. I have a separate OC and a Red, ortho safelight I use. With the Thomas I would have to change the filters or are you saying you open the wings for one and close them for the other? The units are heavy, lights expensive, filters expensive, but really bright. I haven't had the courage to put it into use yet. After I bought it I wondered why I did, do I really need it?
The yellow-tape OC-type filters are in the base, and the red-tape red-ortho filters are in the openable flaps. I keep the flaps closed, filtering the light through both filters, and still the light is too bright. So I add cardboard flaps covering about half the openable flaps. With both filters, you should be able to use it for both regular paper and ortho. It is very bright, and you can not turn it on and off with a timer, because it needs to warm up. I sometimes wonder why I got mine, too.