Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
Actually AIPAD (Association for International Photographic Art Dealers) guidlines, "On Collecting Photographs" allow for varried editions at different sizes and in special portfolios. I don't have the guidebook in hand, so maybe someone with one in their grasp can be more specific. It is a very good booklet to have and can be ordered from their website I believe. Basically it means you can offer one edition at a size of 8 x 10 and another at say 11 x 14. I do editions of 25 of my silver prints, but now selected prints are offered in a PT/PD edition. This edition is for 15 - 7.5 x 7.5 prints that start several hundred dollars higher than my silver prints. I have only done this in the last year and they are already rivaling sales of my silver prints. I am now experimenting with a 12 x 12 and 24 x 24 platinum and will soon be offering them as well in editions of only 5. Again... only of very select images.

Bill
Bill - I understand and agree about the AIPAD rule - I was just explaining the rationale behind destroying the negative after the edition(s) is/are finished. If you are declaring a single edition of a single size in a single media, then many collectors will expect that once the edition is sold out, the negative gets FUBAR'ed.

I think the AIPAD guidebook is a good set of rules to abide by - unfortunately, there are photographers without ethics on the one side, and clueless patrons who don't understand editioning on the other, and make it harder for everyone else.