Quote Originally Posted by ann
I have been having a great discussion with someone regarding testing and within that discussion the following issues have come up :
1. he wants to have all film and formats developed for the same times

What he wants and what he gets may be some distant apart.

2. where did the idea come about with using grade 3 as a standard for 35mm film.

I heard this first from Fred Picker of Zone VI Studios. His reasoning was that 35 mm needed all the help it could get with grain. Hence reduced negative development/density range and higher contrast grade paper. This still makes sense to me today.

Now, i know i did not just come up with the thought that grade 3 was a better option for 35mm , but i can't remember how and why that became a standard starting point.

I have started doing a lot of research to figured out where i came up with this thought as well as it has to do with the short toe of 35mm film.

Does this ring a bell with anyone else? If so how, where, and why.
Is this just an old wives tale?
When i learned the Zone system there was no such thing as MC papers and i made my negatives to print on graded paper (3). And so far no book that i have opened even goes into this area.

I have not encountered this elsewhere either.

With regard to option 1, i think it is going to be a nightmare. Has anyone else ever tried this.

Nope, makes no sense to me

Which leads to another question about why the same film, different format has or may have different development times. I always thought it was due to the type of emulsions.

35 mm has greater fb+fog then equivalent medium format or sheet film. Probably due to a heavier support which I attribute to smaller dimension film.

it is amazing how we use information for a long time and stop thinking about why, etc. So this has been a great opportunity for me to re-think a few things.
This is my experience with the questions that you posed.