It all depends on the negative. Some negatives need nothing more than determining exposure and contrast grade. Sometimes I don't even need a test strip but know from the contact print or sheet what is correct.

Most of mine will require some work with split filtering, burning, dodging etc. I tend to expose a lot of film of scenes with a wide sbr so even with a compensating developer, some manipulation is required.

A few are poorly exposed or developed but contain an image that I want to salvage. I usually go through a lot of time, paper and frustration. Maybe I get the print I want but many times I kick myself in the rear for being careless about technique and try to learn from my mistakes.

Finally there are certain negatives that can be printed or interpreted a variety of ways and I sometimes revisit them with a new approach or with input from a critique that encourages me to explore the negative further.

I think many are so competent and comfortable with technique that most of their negatives print easily with modest adjustments during printing. They can produce beautiful prints easily because of the care and experience on the film side of the equation.