Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn View Post
You can find some more information about this photo in the following
interview (look for "Lange" once you get there).

http://www.photowings.org/pages/index.php?pgA73

Basically, John Szarkowski found out that the words "end of an era" was more of a personal observation by Lange for the widow in the photo (her husband is dead and it's the end of her life as she knew it) , and not a social observation. Then Szarkowski makes the comment about how malleable photos are, and how the makers frequently try to nail down the possible interpretations with titles, text etc.

-Bill
Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I think 'end of an era' is a good title. Whatever the woman is feeling (and how can we assume exactly what she's feeling) it will be the end of a phase.

I find her look very powerful - asking us why we are looking at her, but also asking (telling) us to look at ourselves, how we will be going through what she is going through, we will be facing death or dealing with it, just around the corner...
I find this interesting only that the word "Era" usually refers to a period of time of commonality that was (it's usually used in a past tense) experienced by a society - we don't usually use the word to refer to an individual's time experience.

So, if Lange was using it to define this woman's "era of married life" I think the title is, shall we say, somewhat misleading.

Then again, maybe that's my NY Times crossword puzzle pickiness coming out. But in the late 1930's I don't think people had personal "eras".