Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
Oh no! Here we go again.

Can't we just keep the same thread as a "sticky" and just change the title every few days?

All the same old, same old posters (like me) will not engage in the same old, same old discussion/debate etc.

And all Perez said was something that everyone else has been saying for years. Will, should, could Kodak sell the film division?

And, BTW, did he say it as part of his presentation - or was it as an answer to an analyst's question?

The "Street" has been predicting the run down of the film division for years now. So if it was a response to a query - it might be nothing more that a sop to a pesky analyst!

K's problem is that selling the film division means selling a core business. That is a decision not taken lightly since if they miscalculate - they could sink the firm.

We'll see - meanwhile let the "usual posts" begin!
I've no bone to pick to Kodak, actually (I use plenty of Tri-X and the odd roll of E100G). It is, however, notable in that this is the first time that somebody posed the question to a CEO of Kodak on an earnings call.

And the answer is "possibly, maybe". Yes, it's not a decision to take lightly but there is no denying that, short-term balance sheet considerations aside, film isn't the strategic focus of Kodak long-term. I don't think it's a "sop" either - C-level excecutives have to be really careful about managing expectations and a perspective sale of the film unit will likely set their hearts aflutter...

Also, it's possible a private equity buyout of Kodak's film unit would be the optimal outcome for APUGers. It may even help keep jobs in Rochester. Who knows?

This isn't something to be taken as a "the sky is falling" post, nor is it intended to turn sentiment against Kodak, but I believe it is of relevance to the forum.