Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn View Post
A degausser is what you're talking about.

There are software packages that will remove all traces of data from a computer as long as it is US Department of Defense 5220.22 M compliant, like KillDisk, for example.
Yes, they are sometimes called degaussers, although we prefered the term bulk eraser for the erasing unit and degausser CRT zapper.

FWW I wouldn't trust any software, because then I'm trusting a human somewhere. I would trust the total randomization provided by an intensly powerful magnetic field, because I am then trusting nothing but physics.