KwM: I sometimes do portraits with a Tech V, the rangefinder, and Grafmatics, and it is a fairly dynamic way to work in large format. You've got all the bellows draw you need on a Technika, but realize that the rangefinder only works over a relatively limited range. Still, it will get you close enough for most portraits, and the separate finder is not so difficult once you get the hang of it. If you get out of RF range, you can always switch to the groundglass.
David,

The first test I did with my grafmatics seem to show some fogging, and I'm wondering if it's because I used the spring-loaded facility to hold it in rather than removing the back entirely and using the two clamps (what're the names of those two machinisms again?) The next set of tests, I'll put the grafmatics on the other way and see if I notice a difference.

Does anyone have any idea if there's a difference between the amount of travel between the Linhof and the Graflex rangefinders? Obviously, here, more is better.

If I get more than one reply on this LF RF stuff, I'll suggest we move this part of the thread to either the rangefinder or large format forum and post a pointer here to where I move it.
[...]
If the subject is very mobile, then the solution is to use more light for more DOF.
Yeah, but I still think there's a subtle and psychologically perceptable difference between something that has attained the smallest circles of confusion with a given lens, and something that just appears to come rather close by virtue of DOF.

It's like the difference between listening to a speaker that talks nicely about something, and someone that just nails it eloquently right on the head.

Not that I nail the focus exactly where I want it anywhere near as often as I'd like, but I think there's way too much dependence on autofocus in the trade. More often than not, I'll see a full-page face shot in a magazine and the focus is on the nose, not the pupils.