Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto
I first focused the scene in the bottom of the ground glass, then to keep the perspective I tilted the rear standard back and lastly to keep the foreground sharp I tilted the front standard. The problem is that this really screwed everything up and it just didn?t seem to hold sharp.

Another example I tried is again I first focused in the bottom of the ground glass to bring the backgrounds sharp then used the rear standard and tilted to bring everything in focus but it seems that this only again knocked everything out of focus.

Am I doing something wrong?
FWIW this is hw I do it.

1) I use the back standard exclusively for perspective control.
I don't focus with it nor do I try to tilt the focus plane with it. (One exception: when front tilt isn't enough, which arrived once in the last 6 years when photographing tabletop.)

2) I use the front panel exclusively for focusing and changing the plane of focus.

3) My working sequence is:

- First I compose the image and focus roughly.
- Then I change perspectives with the back standard
- Third I tilt/swing the front standard if neccesary to incline the plane of focus.
- To focus the tilted plane of focus I first focus on the most distant object. This throws the near objects out of focus, so I readjust the tilt until these too are in focus. I again refocus on the far objects. And I again readjust the tilt for the near ones. At the third or fourth cycle (which are more and more subtil) everything is in focus.

N.B. take care not to tilt or swing the front panel too much. As long as you're not doing extreme architecture or tabletop, you will probably only need just a hint of movement. When it all doesn't work out you're probably tilting far too much.

Good luck,
Gilbert