"Isn't this what we regard as a 'police state' ? And that has been and can be pretty brutal and violent."

It's interesting what's going on in my area at the moment, S/ SW.London. 'South/ South West London' btw covers the whole gamut of class and race from the very very rich to the very very poor, within a stone's throw (I live in neither of these extremes ).

There have been suggestions recently to use CCTV surveillance which goes 'beneath' peoples' clothes, NOT showing any private bits, you understand, but being able to locate guns, bombs etc. Lots of distaste about it. I didn't like the idea either.

Over the past fortnight, shockingly, three teenagers (early-mid teens) have been shot dead in particular parts of S.London. One of them about a mile away from where I live. This is very worrying and NOT usual, though it may be commonplace in parts of the world. Suddenly everyone seems to think maybe the special surveillance may not such a bad thing after all.....Who knows, that kind of thing might spread to 'us'...

A police state is about control over protection. Believe me I'm certainly interested in civil liberties but it seems to me surveillance in this country is solely about protection (and it has resulted in many more criminals being correctly convicted, i.e. it has not only helped catch the guilty but helps pretect the innocent from false accusation). We may not like being observed wherever we go - I don't, but I feel it's ultimately for good reasons.

As for the idea of some kind of 'license' or ID for photographers, I agree - let's get the facts before we jump to conclusions....