Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
1. Why would I change the speed of the film when I put it in the camera...like setting the ISO to some other number?
Because you really need a faster film - because the light is poor, for instance. Or because you need a slower film - to smoothen flowing water, or something like that. Or maybe you just don't believe what the manufacturer has put on the packet.

2. Would I make it higher or lower?
Pushing is higher (you push it up), pulling is lower (you pull it down)

3. How would making the change to the film affect developing the film? Like if I currently develop for 6 minutes, would I still do that, or pick a time that corresponds to whatever I set the ISO number to on my camera?
When pushing you generally increase development, when pulling you decrease it. Not quite corresponding to what you set the ISO number to; Delta 100 doesn't miraculously turn into Delta 400 because you set the camera to ISO 400. Off the top of my head (which I'm sure someone is going to bite off in a moment) you increase by 20% for each stop you push, decrease by 15% for each stop you pull. Shooting ISO 100 film at ISO 200 is one stop push, shooting ISO 100 flim as ISO 50 is one stop pull.

4. What would I expect to see on my prints as a result of this?
When pushing film you can expect deep, empty shadow areas, and exessive contrast in midtones and highlights. When pulling you can expect good shadow definition, but very "flat" negatives and possibly burned-out highlights. But sometimes those effects can help make shots possible...