</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David Hall @ Jan 31 2003, 10:37 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>We all know when we something beautiful.&nbsp; And, the occasional inexplicable fetish aside, we all seem to have some internal criteria in common: we can all look at a Picasso and pretty much agree that it is pleasing to the eye.

But why?&nbsp; What is it about an image that makes it beautiful in ways that almost all of us see unervisally?

dgh</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
Ah ... so now we get to the easy questions. Apparently some sort of *Karmic* balance for the really enjoyable "How many boxes do we have" discussion.

I have been mulling this over ... First, I am not at all sure that there is an image so "universally beautiful" that it would form a base for discussion.

In general I am partial to Picasso&#39;s work ... but, certainly, not *everything* that he produced was "beautiful" - a case in point would be one of his most significant pieces, "Guernica". A *wonderful* work - certainly successful in terms of fulflling its "mission" - the portrayal of the imcomprehensible horrors of an air attack on a civilian population... but I could not, by any stretch of the imagination, call that "beautiful".

So what WOULD be considered "so beautiful that everyone would agree that it was"?

I have some *possibilities* - but they are certainly the products of my own conditioning .... Renior&#39;s "Torse au Soliel", LOTS of Sir Alma Tadema&#39;s work, Anders Zorn, Erte, Edward Westons nudes.... I have no idea where to start, let alone choose *one*.

Let&#39;s see ... Possibly Boticelli&#39;s "The Birth of Venus"? Or one of Georgia O&#39;Keefe&#39;s flowers ...?

Anything I can think of has, at one time or another been "slammed" by the knowledgable critics of its day.... and there are those who will not agree today that it is even marginally, let alone "universally", beautiful.

Possibly the best critera we could possibly have to judge "beauty *IS* the "Occasional Inexpliable Fetish". posessed individually by each of us.

Anyway, this will count toward gaining another "box".