Aggie,

Using a densitometer is just a more precise way of getting from A to B. There is nothing magical about it. You are basically qauntifying the characteristics of paper and film and how they relate to each other and specific chemistry. As Steve and Clay point out is not required to make beautiful prints. You can get perfectly good info by making tests of film through exposure and developing times in different developers and keeping a notebook of results. A good methodical approach to testing materials will give you just as good a result and allow you to make determinations in the field about how an image will look based on those tests. If you are not testing now, there are several books and sources on the web for materials testing protocols.

The other option is to stick with one film and and developer combination and learn all of its subtleties and characteristics. One photographer who comes to mind in this regard is Ralph Gibson. For years his only film was TriX souped in Rodinal. Yet the range of print characteristics he can produce with this one combination are incredible.

I have borrowed a densitometer a couple of times just to understand how it is used and what it can do for me. I appreciate it as a precision tool that provides certain results, but I just like to do things the hard way sometimes.