Here in England the answer depends on my location.

If in a residential area I say I'm working for an Estate Agent (thats a Realtor in American ) and getting 'area' shots for prospective buyers. If in the centre of town I say I work for a big chain store looking for locations and if elsewhere I say I work for the Tourist Board.

All seem to satisfy any curiosity!