I think Aggie’s method is great. I wish I had the nerve to try it. I’ve had a couple of incidents. The first was on a mountain in Virginia: there was a tree growing from a rock ledge in a very unbelievable way so I thought a picture might be interesting. While setting up a 35mm Nikon, a black SUV comes up and a couple of men(?) emerge, I was glad to have my brother-in-law along with his cell phone. They accused me of spying on private property and ask me un-politely to leave. I stopped my activity, leaving the tripod in place and called the state police immediately. I had no idea who these guys were. They claimed to be private security of the property owner but showed no ID. The police arrived almost instantaneously and engaged the two in jovial communication. They obviously knew each other. The cops told the SUV’rs that I was on public property and in Virginia, was allowed to photograph anywhere without permission, with obvious exceptions. The image was not properly exposed because between the time I set up and released the shutter, the light had changed and I was sort of shook up.

The second occurred on a public park path in Maryland. I had trucked the 4x5 gear onto a foot (bike) bridge for a shot of the swamp when a security person approached and asked the usual questions from one whom had never seen a LF camera in use. I had to dissemble the thing and put my hand through it before he was convinced it was not some subversion device. Fortunately I had a blank film holder for him to examine. He also looked through my lenses (??).

Question: “Can you still get film for that?” Answer: “No!”
Question: “I know quality when I see it. That’s a Hasselblad, isn’t it?”
Answer; “Yes.”
Question: “Why don’t you just use a digital?” Answer: “What’s that?”